What are TikTok Ads? How to run TikTok ads? This is definitely an issue that many people are interested in. In recent times, TikTok is one of the hottest new trends that are constantly hot. So running TikTok ads is also a new form chosen by many brands. Especially businesses that want to connect and reach out to many target customers who are young people.
Coming to today’s article, Ola City will help you have a better overview of TikTok as well as detailed instructions on how to run TikTok ads for those who are just starting to learn and want to research this new platform.
I. What are the main types of TikTok advertising today?
At the moment, Tiktok has 4 types of ads as follows:
1. Brand Takeovers (Brand Advertising)
Brand Takeovers are ads when users open the TikTok app. This form of advertising aims to increase views of hashtag challenge videos as well as create similar videos. To date, this ad type limits the number of advertisers per day in each country.
2. Native Video Ads (Natural Appearing Video Ads)
Native Video Ads is the type of ad that will appear as videos on Tiktok at random, it will direct users to a sales page or another app on their device.
3. Video Challenges (Challenge Video Ads)
Video Challenges is this type of ad that often contains #hashtags with the purpose of enticing users to create videos around that topic or hashtag.
4. Branded lense (two-way interactive TikTok ads)
Branded lense: This TikTok ad, works similar to the funny effects of Snapchat and Instagram stories, branded lenses will appear in the “hot” or “trending” section for the first 5 days of launch and last up to 10 days. This is a form of TikTok advertising that promotes two-way interaction between users and brands, through user-generated content.
II. How to create a TikTok advertising account
Currently, the TikTok platform does not allow individual users to create their own direct advertising accounts to run. So, you can register for a TikTok advertising account through 2 ways as below:
1. Register an account through Agency
You can run TikTok ads through an Agency (TikTok’s representative companies). The process of registering for a TikTok Ads ad account will follow these steps:
- Step 1: Sign up for a TikTok account through a TikTok representative in Vietnam
- Step 2: The TikTok representative company in Vietnam will censor and respond to your registration information.
- Step 3: Create an account and deposit money into the ad account.
After creating a TikTok ads account, you will be right at the homepage to set up ads. There are basically 3 different levels of ads you should know about: Campaigns, Ad sets, and Ads. Understanding how advertising works at these 3 levels will help you better establish your target audience.
At the same time, it is possible to allocate advertising budget and design ads properly to increase audience reach. From there, it will help you improve your ad performance and achieve your TikTok ad campaign goals effectively.
+ Create ads on TikTok
The first way in creating ads on TikTok is to submit a request using their ad link:
- Open TikTok’s advertising page at https://ads.tiktok.com/ . You’ll see a prompt in the middle of the page that says, create an ad.
- When you click “Create Ad” you will be directed to another page where you are asked to indicate your profile.
- On this page, you will need to indicate where your company is based and the main purpose of creating ads on TikTok. Then click Continue.
- Creating a TikTok ad is completing a form by indicating your contact information such as your name, company name, email address, phone number, company location, industry, and company website.
- Finally, submit your information, which will then be forwarded to TikTok’s ad unit. You will receive a response from TikTok in the email address you specified.
2. Sign up for a personal TikTok advertising account
Note: If you are a business owner, shop owner and do not know much about techniques, as well as experience in running ads, you are better off looking to the Agency for more support.
However, if you are an individual and want to run your own ads, you can still create a personal ad account if you register locally as India. Here are the steps to create a personal TikTok Ads ad account:
- Step 1: Click on the TikTok ads account registration page at https://ads.tiktok.com/i18n/login . If you select “Where is your company based out of ” as Vietnam, it will most likely not be successful, please change it to India.
- Step 2: Enter the information requested by Tiktok.
- Step 3: Check your email to get the confirmation code and create an account. You need to go to the email you registered to get the confirmation code. Enter the confirmation code and set the time zone to match the country where you want to run the ad.
- Step 4: Log in to TikTok Ads. After you create an account successfully, the interface will look like the image below, now just log in to Tiktok Ads.
2.1. Start creating Tiktok ads
+ Choose a target
Currently, TikTok ads only have 3 main goals:
- Traffic: Tiktok will optimize and distribute your ads to get the most hits.
- App Install: If you choose App Install, the ad will deliver to audiences who are likely to install the app.
- Conversions: As for Conversions, when you choose this goal, Tiktok will deliver your ad to the audiences most likely to generate conversions.
+ Set a name and budget for the campaign
As for the name, just name it so that you can easily distinguish it from other campaigns later. Each advertiser will often have a different campaign naming formula, you can refer to the campaign naming method that you often apply.
The campaign budget here will be calculated in INR (Indian currency), each INR = $0.014, and for first time ads you must set a minimum budget of 50000 INR = $706.71.
+ Choose where to show ads
If you only want to run TikTok, you should only check the TikTok section, and other things can be turned off.
+ Ad settings
- URL: The link that will be displayed when the user clicks on the ad.
- Conversion Name: Here will be similar to the Facebook pixel, you need to create a pixel code on the TikTok app and then put this code in the url where you are running the ad to help Tiktok automatically optimize for you.
2.2. How to create a pixel on TikTok
Go to Library -> Select the Manage section of Website Pixel. Just follow the same basic steps of creating and attaching a pixel as you would with a Facebook pixel. Once you’ve done the pixel creation, go back and click “Refresh” to select the name of the conversion you want to run.
In TikTok, there is usually a simple target and only chooses age or location. If you are advertising more specific products, you can target a little deeper to achieve better results.
+ Set a budget for the group and set up an ad schedule
In TikTok, the minimum daily budget should be 2000 INR = $28.17 based on 1 INR = $0.014.
Schedule: If you want to run continuously, then click on “Run continuously”, or you can set the campaign end date by unchecking “Run continuously”.
+ Bidding & optimization
- Optimization Goal: You should leave the default as conversion so that Tiktok automatically optimizes for conversion results.
- Smart Optimization: For those of you who do not have much experience in hand bidding, you should choose this feature.
- Bid: Here you need to set the bid you want on each conversion so that Tiktok will follow and optimize for you.
- Delivery Type: If you want Tiktok to bite money and deliver your ads faster, check “Accelerated” or if you choose to deliver at normal speed, then tick “Standard”.
Once the setup is complete, just click “Next” to continue.
+ Set up display ads
- Recommended aspect ratio: 9:16/1:1/16:9.
- Resolution: ≥ 720 * 1280px / ≥ 640 * 640px / 1280 * 720px.
- File type: .mp4 / .mov / .mpeg / .3gp / .avi.
- Bit rate: 16 516kbps.
- Video length: short video 5~60 seconds (9~15 seconds recommended).
- File size: 500MB file size.
- Profile picture: 1:1 aspect ratio; file type .jpg / .jpeg / .png; files need less than 50K.
After you have finished uploading the video and set the Text, Call to Action, then click Submit. Note that TikTok has the ability to identify each brand’s advertising, so in Tiktok there will rarely be a situation of spy ads running over it like Facebook.
Above are the basic information and instructions about TikTok for you. Currently, the growth rate and number of users of TikTok is increasing, the amount of money spent by advertisers is also increasing significantly. This is also a sign that TikTok is having effective points and promises a lot of potential to increase sales. Ola City hopes this article will bring useful information to you!
Ola City Global